Friday, February 04, 2011

One foot in the groove

One of the highlights of my trip to Fakenham last Sunday was being interviewed for BBC Radio Norfolk. I say 'for' BBC Radio Norfolk, rather than 'on' BBC Radio Norfolk, because I doubt that the interview actually went out: I don't think that it was being broadcast while it was taking place, and all my waffle was so banal that I doubt that it would have been put out on air once the producer had had a chance to listen to it and discover how boring it was. But, even so, it was good to play a part on my favourite radio station, even if it was probably just a hypothetical part.
I had, of course, been listening to BBC Radio Norfolk on the drive up to Fakenham. I always tune in to it (104.4 FM) any time I'm driving in Norfolk and it never fails to delight. Like so many, I was first introduced to BBC Radio Norfolk during the period when Alan Partridge held court during the graveyard shift, his mythical programme ranking up there with the Larry Sanders Show as the show which any show should become (just as, as we know, Wings were the band the Beatles could have become). The great thing about BBC Radio Norfolk is, as Alan Partridge's and Dave Clifton's appearances on TV used to suggest, that it is everything that local radio should be. Any drive in Norfolk, a beautiful, quiet and rural county, is a pleasure, even when the roads are as iced-over as I found them a few days before Christmas, but it becomes even more of a pleasure when you have BBC Radio Norfolk to entertain you. The news bulletin which we heard not long before our arrival at Fakenham was perfect: the first story concerned the ongoing revolution in Egypt (can we call it a revolution? I suppose we'll have to see how it ends before knowing the answer to that one); the second story told us that Labour's economic spokesman (Ed Balls?) had made a speech saying that the government shouldn't be trying to address the titanic budget deficit which the previous Labour government had bequeathed the country, but should instead, I presume, go on spending money which we don't have until we are so broke that we have to invade Poland, appropriate its assets and execute the majority of its citizens (well, it worked for Hitler - for a while); and the third story was that the butcher in Attleborough had put up the price of his sausages by 4% because the meat which goes into them had gone up in price. Similarly entertaining is a programme which comes on early afternoon during the week, 'One foot in the groove'. As you can probably guess, this show plays great music from yesterday - and surely originally had its title concocted by either Alan Partridge or Dave Clifton. When you're in Norfolk, therefore, 104.4 is the only place on the dial to be - although if I were able to find North Norfolk Digital, particularly around mid-morning, it might be a different matter. I haven't, though, been able to track that one down, other than on Youtube.

No comments: