Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Same old, same old

A new computer.  I'll emphasise that as it suits me to overplay the extent to which my broken computer has been responsible for my failure to write a chapter on this blog for over three weeks.  My computer has broken and it still isn't fixed, but I bought a new one on Friday, which I've got up and running today - and straightaway I'm blogging!  Very good.  Hopefully I'll get my old one working again, but it's good to have a new one as my old one had reached the stage where it was breaking down more than once a year.

The major omission has not been the lack of blogging, but the fact that I haven't been able to submit my weekly PAYE data because the system on which one submits it is on my old computer.  I don't know how to add this to this new computer, but it can't be too hard to find out.  I managed it previously so I'm sure that I'll manage it again.  But anyway, the main thing is that I'm getting back to normal, so hopefully that will include blogging too.  I could, of course, have produced something in the interim as because I was borrowing a computer, but 'its a question of time ...'.  As ever, any excuse will do.

In the quiet period it's just been a case of 'same old, same old ...'.  We've had the odd runner without cutting any ice.  Let's hope that some ice can be cut later this week.  Konigin (pictured this morning in this paragraph) is declared for Chelmsford on Thursday, which will be her first run since coming here from Luca Cumani's stable earlier this month.  The plan is then for Sacred Rock to have his first hurdle race the following day at Newbury.  And then on Saturday we have Solitary Sister entered for Wolverhampton.  She'll be declared and it would be an exciting day if she ran as she's been here for over 12 months without running - but there are 51 entries and only 13 get in so, although she's actually halfway up the list, she looks odds on to be one of the 30+ horses who will be eliminated.

3 comments:

glenn.pennington said...

welcome back John - did you try turning the computer off and then back on ?

Brian Jones said...

I could understand the old keyboard coming out with Sacred Rock, but would have thought the new one would have only known The Rocket Path! :)

John Berry said...

Thanks, Glenn - if only it were that simple!

Well spotted, Brian. He spent three years as Sacred Rock and then had his name changed to try to bring a change of luck before he made his debut. And it worked! But I still keep calling him Sacred Rock. It's the same as when we start off calling them by their sire's name while they are still un-named - they get a name, and we're still referring to, say, 'Motivator' two years later. (Or I am, anyway).