Thursday, May 09, 2019

Keeping busy; trying to keep warm

Ten days since the last post, but I do have an excuse this time.  I took Roy to Brighton (on Tuesday last week) the day after I last posted.  He ran another respectable race, finishing fourth, ridden well by Kathy Begley.  He was back in 0-65 company (notwithstanding that he was rated 66) which was a help, but he had top weight in it, so it was still a good run.  He's running well enough to say that once he gets down a few more pounds, he should have a decent chance of winning again.  So that was fine.  And then I was away again the next two days, an overnight trip down to Devon for my father's memorial service.

All in all, I've got a bit behind, particularly as it was the end of a month / start of a month, which always means that there are administrative loose ends to be tied up.  But I'm getting more organised now.  Tomorrow will be a long, busy and tiring day with Sacred Sprite (Dylan Hogan) running in the 6.10 at Wolverhampton and Sussex Girl (Josephine Gordon) running in the 8.30 at Nottingham.  I'll go to Nottingham, but it will be a late night home from both meetings.  I hope that both will run well, Sacred Sprite in her first handicap and Sussex Girl back with cut in the ground as she had in her two wins in the autumn of 2017.  We'll see. I'll be glad when the day's over, and particularly so if the two have run well.

There's plenty happening.  I didn't make it up to the Rowley Mile on either afternoon of the QIPCO Guineas Meeting, but enjoyed the racing on the TV.  We have Chester this week.  That would be another tiring day out, especially as the weather looks very poor.  It's got cold again, and yesterday was a very wet day.  We've had three or four brief periods so far this spring when I've been tempted to dispense with the long trousers and don the shorts, but each time I've noted the forecast for the following week and desisted.  Thank God I have done so (bearing in mind that once the shorts are on, they're on) because I would have perished from cold the past few days in shorts.  It's not merely that I'm still in long trousers - I've dug the long johns back out of the drawer. 

2 comments:

neil kearns said...

hope that warmed you up a bit !! nice one john

John Berry said...

Cheers, Neil. Very, very pleasing. I hardly noticed the rain after that!