Sunday, May 17, 2009

Absent friends

We've got Filemot resuming tomorrow, which will be our second Flat turf runner of the year. That's something to look forward to. She ran very well first up last year, so if there has been a decent amount of rain at Bath (which I think there will have been) then we are entitled to hope for a creditable run tomorrow.

Were I not going to Bath tomorrow, I think I would have headed up to Johnnie Fenwicke-Clennell's memorial service in Rothbury. I don't feel bad too about not going because we were merely very friendly acquaintances rather than close friends, but he was a man I liked and respected, and I would have liked to have been there to pay my respects. But I'm sure that there will be more than enough people there without my adding to the throng, because he was such a popular man who will be sorely missed by many. It was shocking enough firstly to hear that he had had a stroke, then even more so to hear that he had died, because he was always so full of life and was not an old man, but tragically his premature death has been yet another illustration of the truism that we never know what is around the corner.

On the subject of sad fates and first-rate northern racing officials, a man who is frequently in my thoughts is Anthony Gillam, whom I regard as the model stewards' secretary. As far as I know, he is still in a coma from the fall he had out hunting over two years ago. This is just so very, very sad, because a more pleasant and decent man one would never find. There are a lot of things which, were they to happen, would bring a smile to my face, but I can think of no piece of news which I would welcome more than word that he had regained consciousness. As with Johnnie Fenwicke-Clennell, the northern racing circuit is much the poorer for his absence; and both men will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.

No comments: