Thursday, October 01, 2020

Heading into the storm


Time has passed me by, I'm afraid, and we haven't had a chapter of this for a while.  We're having one now but it won't be a long one.  Anthony and I will be going to Fontwell tomorrow with Das Kapital for his hurdles debut, under the inexplicably under-used William Kennedy.  I see that he's 50/1 in overnight betting, but surely he has a better chance than that?  We'll see.  It's Das Kapital's fourth entry of the week (one Flat, three hurdles) I'm ashamed to say (I always feel that when I enter a horse in a race and don't declare him, then I've been too lazily inexact in my race-selection, so doing it three times with one horse in one week is very poor) so I'm glad that we're running, for the sake of my self-respect, if nothing else.


In fairness, the first two of the meetings at which I entered him still had ground firmer than good at the time that the race was run, which was impossible to anticipate at the time of entry (from our point of view here, at any rate, as the weather in Newmarket was atrocious - the second half of last week was untypical in that East Anglia had the coldest and wettest weather of Great Britain with the winds coming in from the North Sea, which is the opposite of the country's normal weather pattern) and the third meeting only went softer than good in the final hours before the race.  It'll be stormy tomorrow so we'll be wet.  Let's hope that we'll be pleased too.

2 comments:

neil kearns said...

Enjoy , hope it all goes well

John Berry said...

Thanks, Neil. A wet trip, and he was well beaten in the end, but it was a satisfactory trip as he showed some promise. Early days for him as a jumper yet.